Tara Christopher has been in the health industry for 30 years. She started as a competitive AAU swimmer at the age of 5 swimming five days a week and completed her first swim-a-thon at age 9. She continued swim-a-thons annually to raise money for different nonprofit organizations. At 12 years old was the first 20-mile walk-a-thon. The understanding of the power of her own body to help others and be grateful for health began at a very young age.
Tara began teaching Aerobics and was part of a team that opened a health club at the age of 17. While opening the new health club McDonald’s was trying to incorporate the veggie burger and Tara hosted the McDonald’s commercial to launch the idea of a healthier choice. Always one that was up for the challenge, she did her first sprint triathlon at 21 years old. She was featured on the cover of Triathlon program as the cyclist.
After moving locations to teach weight training and classes she was invited to speak at the corporate office of Anheuser-Busch inspiring a room full of upper management and executives to educate them on exercise and better nutrition. This was the first of many engagements to teach health and wellness.
After she received her degree from Hunter College, she launched a successful career at a highly demanding gym on 57th street in NYC. Her strategy was to develop a roadmap for individuals to reach their goals based on their own health needs. With her rapid growth and success, she launched her own business on 57th street at Lift gym NYC. In the process of launching her business, she finished the NYC marathon. Since then, she has completed many endurance events including the Ford Ironman.
Throughout her career she was featured in many national publications, was in an exercise layout in fitness plus, wrote a TV clip for Life Time Live and featured in the episode, was chosen to represent a book Baby to Bikini traveling to many news morning shows. In 2012 she was on Dateline NBC as the coach, After the showing, the clip was featured on TMZ and the O’Reilly factor. With social media and the changing format, Tara was inspired to reach to many people with her message. This lead to her passion for spreading the word Just Keep On Movin!!!
What you’ll learn about in this episode:
- Tara’s story and how she caught the health and wellness bug at a very young age
- Health: why it’s just as important for the mind as it is the body
- Why what you define as success for yourself has to include your health
- Just Keep On Movin!!!: Tara’s campaign for living a healthier life
- Shifting your entire psychology around health and wellness
- The importance of using repeatable systems
- Hiring people to fill in the gaps of what you don’t know
- Ways to get out of ruts so that you don’t spend too much time in a low point
- The massive impact of meditation
- Why you need to be uncomfortable to grow as a leader
Ways to contact Tara: