Episode 30: Hire For Soft Skills, with Jeff Jensen
Jeff Jensen has been involved in recruiting and building companies for 30+ years in a number of industries and in a number of positions.
Jeff was President/Principal of two private placement companies, the Knapp Agency Seattle a Mgmt., & staffing company as well as The Lynnwood Placement Center that placed people in the Logging industry.
Jeff has held positions as Sr. V.P., Exec., V.P., Branch Manager and Sales Manager in the lending industry. He is a Past President of the Seattle Mortgage Bankers Association and a current director for the Washington Association of Mortgage Bankers. He has Chaired Non-Profit groups as well.
He recently published a book on recruiting called “What A HOOT! Let’s Recruit!” wherein he shares techniques that work in a number of industries to improve the performance of the recruiting initiative.
Jeff has been married to his wife Taryn for 40 years and lives in Woodinville, Wa.
What you’ll learn about in this episode:
- Jeff’s background
- Why integrity is so vital
- What Jeff learned from his mentor Jim Moats
- What Jeff learned from a time where he felt like he failed
- Why Jeff hires for soft skills
- How to avoid make a bad hire — and why this must be done at all costs
- Why culture is so important
- What “A Players” in Jeff’s organization look like — and what qualities he looks for in potential hires
- Why Jeff loves using LinkedIn during his employee search
- Jeff’s Six E’s for keeping his attention level where it needs to be to nurture employees
- What Jeff does to take care of his body and mind
- How to recognize and capitalize on momentum